Friday, October 13, 2017

Friday Video: Dressing an 18thc Lady, Continued: The Busk

Friday, October 13, 2017

Susan reporting,

Last month I shared a video from the Lady Lever Art Gallery and National Museums of Liverpool that demonstrated how an 18thc elite woman was dressed for her day.

Many of you were mystified by one particular wardrobe feature: the busk.

You weren't alone. According to Pauline Loven, the costume historian, costumer, and heritage film producer who created the costumes and contributed the historical background for the first video, the purpose of the busk perplexed many viewers - so much so that this second, shorter video was made to offer further explanation. Both videos were directed by Nick Loven for Crow's Eye Productions.

For examples of several antique busks, see this post from our archives.

6 comments:

Nancy Nichols said...

Hi there! I love the video, so informative, and the extra explanation is so helpful to costumers and re enactors, and history writers! Perhaps your expert can answer a question of mine -- why were amateur thespians called "buskers" in the old days? Was it because they dressed up in 18th C costumes like those shown, with that center front busk?
Keep up the great work -- I always get a little thrill when I see you've posted another great tidbit!
Best,
Nancy N

Karen said...

I can't imagine wearing my corset without the busk. I still think the actress needs a bigger bum roll.

Karen Anne said...

Nice video on secret compartments, nothing to do with clothes :-)

https://www.facebook.com/CWhistorictrades/videos/504684629886736/

Karen Anne said...

Merriam-Webster busk, probably from Italian buscare to procure, gain, from Spanish buscar to look for

I assume from the people who entertained in the street for coins.

Annette Naish said...

I wonder, is it just me, or have we lost such a wonderful sense of poetry as the words written on the busk?

I thank you for the video. And I can certainly see why ladies had maids.

Today, getting dressed is not a group effort. But, we also do not normally dress in such a lovely and elegant manner.

Donna Hatch, Regency Romance Author said...

Great video! I didn't know busks were removable. I loved the poem, too!

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket